Monday, January 12, 2015

Bible Chapter: Proverbs 17 & 18

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    One of the best-known proverbs talks about a cheerful heart.  It says that it is good medicine.  When we get sick, if there is a medicine that fixes the problem and makes us feeling well and healthy, that is a good thing.  A cheerful heart is good medicine.  When we fill our lives with the joy of the Lord, we are better off.  The opposite is also truth, a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.  One translation says that it dries up the bones.  It is too easy to let our hearts become filled with dependancy and discouragement.  Then everything seems to be bad and life becomes difficult to live.
    What should you do if you get overwhelmed?  Run to the Lord. The name of the Lord is a strong tower where we are safe.  Lord, I come to you and rest in you.  I honor you.  I praise and follow you.  Lord, I’m staying close to you.  It is amazing the things that the Lord will do when we run to Him.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    There is a very encouraging verse for those who are afraid to make the commitment to marriage these days.  I am amazed at all who are afraid to do this.  We are told here that he who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.  I have been blessed with my wife for over 40 years.  It really is a good thing to be in a strong marriage.  I am reminded of that often and am very happy to be married to Andrea.  This makes my life better.  I do all I can to make it happy.  One translation says that he who finds a wife finds a treasure.  I treasure my treasure.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Keep digging.  I used to live in a city that had a history of mining.  Many people in the past became very successful because of it. But, they almost missed it.  The history is told that the people digging the mine were running out of money to continue.  They decided to quit after the day, but said they would keep digging for the rest of the day.  It was in the last few hours that they struck the vein of minerals that would make them rich.  If they had given up, they would have missed out on so much.  So, keep digging in God’s Word and see the great treasures you will find.