Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Bible Chapter: Psalms 37 & 38

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    There are so many great thoughts and words of encouragement in Psalm 37. We are encouraged to NOT fret because of evildoers nor to be envious of people who commit iniquity. They will be judged. Believers in Jesus are encouraged to trust in the Lord, delight in the Lord and also commit your way to the Lord. Those who do these things will receive God’s blessings. We are also encouraged to rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him. We know that the evildoers will be cut off and those that trust in the Lord will inherit the earth. It is often a common struggle for a righteous person to see all that an evil person may own, but we are encouraged with the thought that a little the righteous person has is better than the riches of many wicked.
    The Lord is a righteous judge. David knew that when he sinned he would bring God’s chastening down upon himself. He had times of physical sickness and wounds because of his foolishness. He also expressed that his greatest desire was God. He said he would put his hope in the Lord. He prayed that the Lord would not forsake him and would make taste to help him because the Lord is his salvation.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    A question that many people have these days is who can I trust. These verses remind me that I can trust in the Lord and delight in Him. I can have confidence because the Lord loves justice and He does not forsake his saints. The wicked will be cut off and will be judged. I am reminded here to fully trust God and strive to obey Him in everything that I do. When I do that, then my heart becomes more tuned to God and my desires become more like His desire is for me. I can better learn to rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people do the things that Psalm 37 talks about. I want to help them not to fret, but to trust in the Lord, delight themselves in the Lord, commit their way to the Lord and rest in Him. Let God show Himself as the source of life, hope and strength.