Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Bible Chapter: Psalms 17 & 18

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    David was praying to God.  He had confidence in his prayer because God is so merciful.  He also had faith because he had been living in obedience to God.  The Bible says that God hears prayer, especially the prayer of righteous people who are living in obedience to God’s ways.  There is protection in living under God’s direction.  David called on God to guide his steps that he not slip along the way.  David knew that serving God would lead to satisfaction in his life.
    Everyone has ongoing struggles in life.  God cares for us.  He is our safety and security.  David called God his fortress, for He is a place of refuge and safety from the enemy.  God delivers his people and protects them as the shield.  David also called God his stronghold who will lift us above the perils of life.
    I appreciate this verse that someone made into a chorus:  I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.  They combined it with another verse:  The LORD lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let the God of my salvation be exalted.  We CAN and MUST call on God and receive His strength and protection.  Because, as this Psalm also says:  In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple.
    With God’s help we can do what seems impossible.  David said he could run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall.  Yes, God will make life amazing as we serve and trust in Him.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    There is so much in these Psalms to apply to life.  We need to trust God and fully expect His help.  We must study to know what He wants and then do it.  I think that often we make life more complex than it has to be.  Worship God.  Trust God.  Live for and with God.  When David did this wonderful things happened.  It was when he turned from the life of obedience that things fell apart.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Some wise advice I heard one time said “Learn from my mistakes so you don’t have to make them all yourself”.  That is good advice.  Learn from these writings that explain the best way to live and overcome the challenges and battles of life.