Monday, November 17, 2014

Bible Chapter: Psalms 83 & 84

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    There are many enemies of the one true God. Their greatest goal is to hurt God. They often do it by coming against God’s people.  The Psalmist describes a group of nations that have come together to try to cut off Israel, that the name of Israel would be remembered no more. We still see that happening today, as there are people whose greatest goal is to push the nation of Israel into the sea. The Psalmist prayed that God would make these nations like dust and chaff in the wind. He prayed that God would fill their faces with shame that they would seek the Lord. He prayed that God would do whatever it would take so they would truly know Him.
    Psalm 84 is an inspiration to those who read it. The psalmist expresses his delight and desires the dwelling place of the Lord. His soul deeply longs for the courts of the Lord, for the Lord’s presence. It is a great blessing to dwell in God’s house and to be singing His praises. This is expressed as he said it is better to spend one day in the courts of the Lord than 1,000 days anywhere else. He would rather have the lowest position in the house of God in the highest position in the tents of wickedness. Those who fully trust in God are truly blessed.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    As I go through life I see that there are many who are totally against God and are working hard to take any influence God has out of daily life. There are many enemies of the true Creator God. I must continue to put my trust in God for Him to overcome the forces of evil. I need to continually remind myself of the blessing and inspiration that comes in God’s presence. Gathering together with God’s people to pray, study God’s word and worship Him is one of the absolute best things that I can ever do. The enemies of the Lord will do all they can to keep me out of God’s house. I will do all I can to make sure they fail in this endeavor.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people not be discouraged by the enemies of God. I want to help encourage them to remain faithful to God and remember the great blessings that come from the presence of the Lord.