Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bible Chapter: Psalms 77 & 78

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    We all go through tough times in life when it feels as if God is a long ways away. There are challenges we must go through. These are discouraging days and we look for ways to make it past the struggles. These are the times we must remember all of the good things God has done in our lives. We can be encouraged through the memory of God’s presence in the past.  God never abandons His people.
    There is something that every generation has heard and seems to fight against – learn from history.  This is an important truth.  The Psalmist said that they must pass on to their children the things their fathers told them.  Don’t hide the truth from the children. The future generations must learn what has happened in the past. They must learn to set their hope in God and not forget the awesome things God has done or has commanded them to do. Future generations must be reminded of those in Israel that sinned and did not believe in God’s wondrous works. The heart of the people was not steadfast with God and they were not faithful to his covenant.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    The spiritual life of a person can either be a roller coaster going up and down continually, or the choice can be made to make it a continual climb to grow closer to God. The choice is up to each individual person as to how they serve God. I want to remember the lessons of both the successes and failures mentioned in these Psalms and remember the good things that God has done. I want my life to be a continual climb towards God.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I remember something my father said to me one time. Learn from the things I have experienced. I want to encourage people to learn from the things others have experienced as expressed in the Psalms and live a life that is close to God.