Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Bible Chapter: I Chronicles 7 & 8

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    A connection with the past.  This is very important.  Many today are active in searching their genealogy to find out where they came from and who their ancestors are.  The Chronicles were written after the 70 year exile to help renew their hope as God’s covenant people.  This helped build their foundation of trust in God and helped connect their identity with the past.  The returning Jews were helped to preserve their spiritual heritage.
    When I read chapters that tell me who gave birth to whom and who the next generation was, it is helpful to be reminded that there is a real purpose for the information.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    Stay connected with Jesus.  Stay connected with what my spiritual ancestors experienced and learn from that.  Then, apply and keep on learning what God wants me to learn.  I can’t imagine 70 years of exile.  The overwhelming majority of the people who migrated back to Jerusalem were not born there. Yet, the history and the hope were kept alive.  They left what they knew to seek what the believed would be better.  Learning from history and creating more history that brings glory to God.  That is exciting.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Never give up.  Keep on trusting God.