Thursday, June 26, 2014

Bible Chapter: I Chronicles 21 & 22

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    When things start to go really well, be on guard.  King David was having many successes as the leader of the nation.  That is when the enemy came in and began a battle in his mind.  Satan is the enemy and accuser and must always be rejected.  David was caught up in pride at all that was done in the progress of the nation.  He was caught up with how important he was as the king.  David lost his focus on what was really important and on fully trusting God.  He was being drawn into self-sufficiency and believing he was superior to all the rest.
    When David finally realized his sin, he did repent.  We see an important principle here as David refused to make a sacrifice to God that cost him nothing.  Sin always extracts a cost.  It is not sacrifice if it doesn’t cost something.  David admitted his sin and repented.
    We also see that David’s heart to build a beautiful place of worship was still strong.  While God prevented him from building it, he was gathering the materials so his son, Solomon, could complete the project.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    While I must never elevate myself in my mind to a high position and be drawn to the place of pride that was David’s downfall here, I must also never go the other direction.  I must not think too little of myself and believe that nothing good will happen.  God took David from the back field and made him the king.  David became a mighty warrior and leader.  God can do anything through anyone.  God has no limitations.
    One passage stood out as I was reading these chapters.  One translation says that David, in collecting building materials for the temple, gathered nearly 4,000 tons of gold, 40,000 tons of silver, and so much iron and bronze that it cannot be weighed.  That is hard to comprehend.  This says that God has no problem providing for what He has planned.  I need to always fully trust God.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people keep their focus on God, on who He is, and what He will do and provide.  Refuse to let pride take over.  Refuse to listen to the tempter.  Be fully open to all God has.  Let God take you to the place where you will be successful, as God defines success.