Monday, April 15, 2013


Bible Chapter: II Corinthians 12

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    God gave Paul an amazing experience.  He was caught up into heaven and saw and heard things that a man cannot express.  Human words can’t begin to adequately describe the glories of heaven.  And, some thing we are not to know till we get there.  He experienced the presence of God in a much more amazing way than he had before.  Only a few people in history have experienced something like this.
    Then, to be sure Paul didn’t gloat in his experience, God allowed a messenger from Satan to torment him.  There was some kind of physical ailment that he suffered with.  He prayed for God to take it away and God’s response was an important lesson for all.  Verse 9: And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (NKJV)
    God’s grace will carry a believer through their trials.  Paul’s response was that he will take the trials so that Christ’s power would rest on him.  He would make it because God would carry him through.
    In this chapter Paul was concerned with the attitude of the believers in Corinth.  He had done so much for them and they didn’t seem to appreciate it.  They should have been helping out in support of the ministry, but they were shirking their duties.  This is a good lesson for local churches about the importance of generosity and involvement in ministries.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    No one likes trials and problems.  How do we respond to them?  I must remember their purpose and learn from them.  It is so easy to get frustrated by the stupid things of life.  God wants me (and everyone) to trust Him and believe that He will carry them through.  Those who abuse their authority and create problems will have to stand before God some day and give an account.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I can point people to the source of true help when they face trials.  I can point them to Jesus Who died on the cross for them and bought new life.  This is not just something preachers say when they get stuck.  It is the real and only answer to the real issues of life.  Some people say we have to learn to make sense of the tragedies of life.  We can’t make sense of them.  We can only rely on God’s grace, for, His grace IS sufficient for the trials of life.