Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Bible Chapter: Luke 4

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Temptation.  Jesus was tempted to sin at a very weak moment in His life.  The Bible says that Jesus went through all we go through without sinning.  He knows what we are facing.  Every person alive deals with temptation.  We are pulled with desires to do things to make life easier and more fun, but to do it in such a way that goes against God’s way.  We are tempted with selfish things.  Jesus was tempted to take spiritual shortcuts that seemed to be an improvement over God’s way.  To bow down to Satan rather than go to the cross seems like a great deal and would prevent much suffering.  The problem with temptation is that we don’t see the end result while we are looking at the temptation.  If Jesus had yielded to the temptation, He would have given up His control and authority and the world would be a mess.  Life under people like Hitler and Stalin would look good compared to what it would be if Satan had control of the world.  We need to keep this in mind when we are tempted.  Sin NEVER gives all it promises and ALWAYS costs more than it seems to cost.
    What was Jesus’ method for overcoming?  He quoted scriptures.  “It is written . . .”  This is why we need to be students of God’s Word, so we can use it and apply it in the real situations of life. Jesus also kept an eternal perspective on the issues of life.  He could see beyond the moment to how His decisions would impact eternity.  This will help us as well.  How will my decisions today reflect on what will last forever?

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    I can be honest about the things that come in the form of temptation.  It is common to make excuses and find ways to justify yielding to sin.  I need to always reject any of this.  I need to keep in focus the reality of a personal relationship with Jesus that comes from making Him the Lord of my life.  I can expect to live in victory over temptation because of what God accomplishes in my heart.  This doesn’t mean I can’t commit sin, but that I should expect and desire to reject temptation and live obediently to Christ.
    I also need to strive to understand the spiritual authority that I have as a believer.  Jesus amazed the people with His authority to heal and drive out demons.  He has given authority to His followers.  We must use it properly.  We must never do things selfishly or with a desire to make life better for us at the cost of disobedience to God.

3.  How can I help someone?
    People often expect that they don’t have any choice but to yield to temptation.  They make excuses.  I can help people see the gift of forgiveness and victory that God offers.  When they receive it they will have a life of victory over the destructive lifestyle they live.  This really works.