Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bible Chapter: Luke 20

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    One thought jumped out to me in how Jesus responded to the challenge, the question in verse 2.  He didn’t answer their question, He responded with a question for them.  Jesus knew that they were not interested in an answer, they didn’t care about an honest debate, but they were looking for a way to make Him look bad to the crowds.  This was a trap.
    He shows us an important principle here.   We are not under obligation to try to answer every question posed to us.  Because it was not a real discussion but a trick, He didn’t answer them.  His question in return put them in a difficult situation and they wouldn’t answer.  Jesus didn’t answer, either.  We are to be ready to answer the questions about the hope we have in our hearts (and we have a genuine hope for eternity).  We are to be ready to talk about Jesus, Who He is and what He has done in our lives.  We are not under obligation to get trapped into discussions that will go nowhere.
    Jesus also talked about being rejected.  He would be rejected by many religious folk but would be revealed as the foundation for life.  Those who reject Him will be judged and punished.  I find an interesting sentence in the footnote of my Bible.  “Those who do not accept Jesus will be broken to pieces, and those who fall under his judgement will be completely pulverized.”  That’s a strong statement based on verse 18.  The blessings of serving Jesus are amazing, and the consequences of rejecting Him are devastating.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    Jesus was constantly being challenged by people hoping to make Him look foolish.  A group of Sadducees tried to trap Him with a question about the resurrection and eternity in heaven.  This is an encouraging passage, for it acknowledges the reality of the eternal home of believers in Jesus.  Jesus said that there we will no longer face death.  In this life death is an enemy, but it will be conquered.  We will live in an amazing place in God’s presence.  This is too great to miss.  So, I must continue to live in such a way as to get as close to Jesus as I can and be ready to see Him some day.  It is amazing to think of some day entering His presence.  Anything necessary to get there is worth it.  While salvation is a gift and I cannot earn it, I can and must be faithful and work for God while I can.  As I have stood at the bedside of a believer leaving this earth, I have been reminded of the amazing journey they are taking.  I have to admit to some jealousy of their seeing the Lord and entering their eternal reward.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Many people believe in some kind of life after life and hope they are on the right path.  I remember talking with a guy at a funeral one time.  He said he would like to know he had a ticket to heaven.  I can help people by helping them understand that the ticket to heaven has already been paid for and all we have to do is accept it.