Thursday, November 15, 2012

Bible Chapter: Luke 10

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Rejoice.  Rejoice over what?  Rejoice that God has given spiritual power?  Rejoice that people are taking notice of what happens at church?  No, rejoice that your name is written in God’s book in heaven.  To know for sure that you are forgiven and headed for eternity with the Lord is the greatest thing possible.  Jesus said to rejoice that your name is written in heaven.  Whenever I am part of a funeral, the greatest part is when I know that the person had received Jesus as their personal Savior and was prepared to leave this life and meet the Lord.  Nothing else compares in value to having assurance of our eternal home.  That is where our comfort is found.  That gives us hope to carry on.
    When questioned about this thought of eternal life, Jesus responded with discussing what was written in the law.  The response was to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength; and to love your neighbor as yourself.  Anyone who truly loves God that much will love their neighbor and apply biblical truths in life.  The one who was questioning Jesus was looking for an excuse to get by with less.  Luke records that he wanted to justify himself, so he asked the question, “Who is my neighbor?”.  People who want to justify themselves rather than obey God are always looking for an excuse.  That simply won’t work with God.  He won’t change His rules for anyone.
    In response to the question Jesus told the story of The Good Samaritan.  It’s not enough to have religious knowledge and experience, we must put God’s truth in to action.  This action will usually be inconvenient and cost something.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    Jesus asked who was the neighbor to the man robbed in the parable.  The response was the one who had mercy.  Jesus responded, “Go and do likewise”.  The story of The Good Samaritan is a practical example of how to help and show the love of Jesus.  I need to keep this in mind so I can apply it in life.
    I also must always rejoice that my name is written in heaven.  I know this is the most important thing in life.  Sometimes I can get busy or tired and other things seem more important.  I need to remember what Jesus said to Martha at the end of the chapter.  Luke 10:41-42 NLT
41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
    Devotion to and fellowship with the Lord is most important.  Out of this will come the works I need to do.  This is a good lesson in priorities.

3.  How can I help someone?
    If I will apply what I wrote in question 2, I will be helping people.