Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bible Chapter: Luke 2

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Twelve years.  That is what is covered in Luke 2.  It starts with the traditional Christmas story, telling the travels of Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem.  All of the familiar and beloved details fill the early parts of this chapter.  Millions of people have memorized portions of Luke 2.  It ends with a visit by Jesus and His parents to the Temple.
    I want to give emphasis to two other parts of this chapter.  Verse 25 talks about a Godly man named Simeon.  On the eighth day after His birth, Joseph and Mary brought Jesus to the Temple.  There Simon rejoiced to see Jesus.  Simeon is described as righteous and devout.  I trust that all followers of Jesus desire to make this part of the description of their lives.  He was faithful and sought God in his life.  His heart and actions showed a real relationship with God.  We are not called to simply go through a religious routine, but to live in devotion to and applying God’s truth to daily life.
    One other part of this chapter I want to mention is what Jesus said in verse 49.  He had to be about His Father’s business.  I will spend my life involved in something.  Is it something that will last?  Is it something that is frivolous and worthless?  Does God get the glory?  Does it impact and benefit other people?  Even at age twelve, Jesus was grasping the importance of doing what His heavenly Father wanted Him to do.  God has a plan for each one of us.  We need to study the Bible to learn the basics and also seek God for His specific direction in our lives.  Then we must be busy actually doing our Father’s business, not just talking about it.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    The end of this chapter describes Jesus as growing in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men.  He was maturing and developing as a person.  He was learning and grasping how to apply what was important in life.  He was growing in understanding and relationship with God.  He was learning how to get along with people.  He was developing as a person that could accomplish the plan of God for His life.
    I must always strive to do the same.  I am never too old to do that.  Whatever age a person may be they must continue to learn and grow.  We must all learn to get along with people and reflect the nature of God through our lives.  This principle says that Jesus learned God’s revealed word and plan for life and applied it.

3.  How can I help someone?
    The more I can be a mature and Christlike person, the more I will help people.  The more I live in a way that pleases God, the more I will help those around me.  The most helpful people are those who learn Biblical truths and apply them in daily life.  So, this means I must continue to study the Bible.