Monday, January 13, 2014

Bible Chapter: Numbers 7 & 8

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    I have heard it said many times that the church is “only after my money”.  Churches take offerings to keep going.  In reading chapter seven we see some major offerings.  A large amount of gold and silver was given in the form of bowls and plates.  Many other offerings were made to construct the Tabernacle and furnish it.  Instead of saying that the purpose of the place of worship was to simply collect wealth, I see it that God is worthy of receiving the best.  While people criticize those who give, we see that God honors those who are generous and faithful.  God blesses a generous heart.
    God set the Levites apart for service in the house of worship.  They were taught how to do what honored God and they were called to live a holy life.  They were set apart.  This is a good picture of what God wants for all of His followers.  We are to be set apart from the rest of the world.  We are to be set apart from sin.  We are to be dedicated to God.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    How close can I get to Jesus?  This question comes up often.  I have met countless people who have a basic knowledge of the things of God.  They have a basic understanding of right and wrong.  But, they don’t grasp the truth of being a follower of Jesus as the make Him both their Lord and Savior.  Many want forgiveness and expect heaven because they are basically a good person.  That is true of so many.  But, being a basically good person is not enough.  Each one must recognize their sin and make Jesus their Lord and Savior.  I want to live with this challenge before me: How close can I get to Jesus?

3.  How can I help someone?
    Jesus came to give us life.  He said that He came to give us life, and life that is abundant.  When people realize that, they will know that He is worthy of giving Him our best, which is ourselves.  They will be set apart from the world and be close to Him.  They will have what people are pursuing.