Monday, January 6, 2014

Bible Chapter: Leviticus 25 & 26

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    God cares how people are treated.  He gave specific directions regarding property.  They were not to sell the land permanently, but based on the years leading up to the 50th year, the Year of Jubilee.  God cares about providing for people and gave specific instructions so that some don’t have to live without provision while others are in the lap of luxury.  Here we see the principle that God is the owner of everything, He allows us to use it.  We are to use it properly.
    We also see here that God is serious about obedience to Him.  Those who think they can live and act any way they want will learn a hard lesson.  Obedience is rewarded, sin and disobedience is punished.  Those who think they can sin and then hide from God without any consequence for their actions will quickly learn how wrong they are.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    As I was reading this passage I was thinking of the conditions in our world today.  Sin is rampant.  People are sinful and proud of it. They attack those who live for God and are open about believing the Bible.  They are acting like they really control things.  I am reminded that those who think they will live in sin without punishment will some day face a righteous Judge who will reveal all they have done and give them the just reward for their sin.  God promises blessing and reward for obedience.  I make the choice to obey.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want people to grasp this important principle God established:
Leviticus 26:3-5 NIV
3 If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, 4 I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees of the field their fruit. 5 Your threshing will continue until grape harvest and the grape harvest will continue until planting, and you will eat all the food you want and live in safety in your land.