Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bible Chapter: Genesis 40

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    God will work through whatever circumstances come from the decisions people make.  Joseph’s brothers had acted wickedly in selling him as a slave.  Potiphar’s wife had acted wickedly in lying about Joseph so he was put in prison.  Now, God used Joseph in his confinement to interpret dreams.  This gave him the connection he needed for a future time.  It is hard for me to imagine that the king’s cup bearer could forget about Joseph after he was restored to his position, but he did.  I think that Joseph was probably excited about the potential of getting out.  Surely, it would happen quickly.  Little by little the reality sank in that he had been forgotten.
    Joseph had to continue being faithful to God in his horrible situation.  We see his desire to get out of there in his immediate plea to the cup bearer when he interpreted the dream.  Please, remember me and show me kindness.  Plead my case before the king.  But, it didn’t happen.  The good news is that Joseph didn’t give up on God.  Because of his faithfulness, he was eventually used in a way he could have never imagined. He would have been happy to be released and sent home to his father.  God had bigger plans.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    We generally don’t know the things God has in store for us.  I want things to happen now.  I want to see things get going.  Often, they take much more time that I think they should.  God calls us to be faithful to Him and let Him work out the details.  That is usually hard to do.  But, it is a lesson we must learn.  Joseph is an inspiration for many reasons, his faithfulness to God is one of them.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people see the benefits of waiting in God’s timing and doing what is right in God’s eyes.  In the end it is always worth it.