Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bible Chapter: Genesis 28

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Isaac sent Jacob away to take a wife from their home territory.  We see something of the sinful heart of those who refuse to submit to God in the response of Esau.  He specifically did something major to spite Isaac.  He purposely went out and took a wife that he knew would hurt his father.  He married a heathen woman because he knew his father and mother didn’t want him to do it.  Often when people do something like that, with the intention of hurting someone, they end up hurting themselves more than the other person.  It appears that jealousy was a major motivational factor for several things that Esau did.  That always brings negative results.
    Jacob went away according to Isaac’s instructions.  On his journey he had a dream.  God confirmed the promise given to Abraham.  His descendants would be as the dust of the earth.  God promised to be with him.  Jacob vowed to follow and serve God.  Even though we see the flaws in Jacob, we see that God still used him.  That is encouraging news to hear.  God will use flawed people.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    I must not let jealousy take over any situation in life.  It is so easy to see the good things happening in someone else.  It is easy to be frustrated at what is happening to “them” and secretly begin to wish that something bad will happen to “them” to attempt to even the score.  Somehow this perverted thinking says that if “they” are pulled down, it will make my life better.  I want what they have.  I want the success, the money, the recognition they have.  However, I must be sure to never let that happen.  When the temptation tries to sneak in, I must reject it and rejoice when good things happen to other people.  Esau could have had a better life if he would have applied that.
    Jacob received the blessings of God in his life as he followed his commitment to serve the Lord.  Life is a long journey, a marathon and not a sprint.  Sticking with what we know is right is so necessary.  I must continue to follow the Lord.  I won’t be sorry.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people see the best ways to get along.  The selfishness of the flesh really gets in the way and brings destruction.  I want to help people see that doing things God’s way will bring the greatest benefits.