Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bible Chapter: Genesis 23

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    After all the long journeys and adventures that Abraham and Sarah had, the day came when their travels on this earth together came to an end.  At the age of one hundred twenty seven, Sarah passed away.  Abraham wept and grieved for her.  Then he had to find a place to bury her.  It is interesting in that, while God had promised a great land to Abraham and his descendants, he never owned any of the land he lived on.  I would be many generations before they would take possession of the land.  Abraham asked to buy some land for a burial ground.
    The people told Abraham that he could have any land he wanted, they would give it to him.  But, Abraham was insistent that he would pay for it.  I find it interesting that these days some millionaires, the more money they have, the more they expect people to give them things.  In the story of his life, Abraham never was greedy or trying only to gain more possessions.  He was always willing to do what was right materially. When the value of the land he wanted was identified as four hundred shekels of silver, he paid it.
    The death of Sarah shows us that no one is exempt from trials and loss in this life.  No matter how faithful Abraham was to God, no matter how rich he became, no matter how important he was in God’s eternal plan to provide the Savior for the world, he would face loss and sorrow.  We should not panic or become angry when trials come, for we all will face them. They are not easy.  They are painful. But, God is faithful to carry us through.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    In Abraham’s life he was careful to rely on God for his provision.  Earlier in life he told a king that he would take nothing from him lest the king say he had made Abraham rich.  He wouldn’t let himself become beholding to people for his material possessions.  Abraham learned to trust God.  Yes, he had some failures, but that simply shows he was alive.  He learned to trust God.  That is a lesson we all must continue to learn.  I do trust God and have seen Him come through in many ways.  Sometime we need to continue to remember everything depends on Him.  Even in times of loss, or I should say especially in times of loss, I can trust God to be what I need.  I remember when my family and I stood around the bed and watched my mother enter eternity, it was an amazingly powerful time of God’s presence, knowing that she was entering an awesome journey into the presence of Her Lord.  What a difference that made.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people see that Jesus really is sufficient for the needs and challenges of life.  They hurt and are difficult to experience.  But, Jesus is present to give us what we need.  I am reminded of II Timothy 1:12 NKJV that says
. . . for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.
    I know HIM, Jesus, and therefore I can commit my life and eternity to Him and He will take me through.  That’s all I need.