Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bible Chapter: Revelation 6

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    The reality of God’s judgement against sin jumps out in reading this chapter.  God is righteous.  God loves righteousness and hates sin.  God WILL judge sin.  We live in a world that does not believe that.  People say that God is loving and would never judge sin.  Or, they believe that lie that God delights in judging people and sending them to hell and wonder why He would do that.  God does not want people to suffer.  It is the insistence that “I want to do what I want to do” that leads people to a place of judgement and punishment.
    There is a future time when horrible suffering will come.  Violence, war, famine, death – all these are coming and will be the result of God’s righteous judgement against sinners.  We can see in life that active participation in sin brings nothing but problems.  Any fun had while sinning is quickly overcome by even greater problems.  Serving God is the way to go.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    God has given us all a free will.  How am I going to use that?  This is the choice every person must make.  I don’t think most people give this concept much thought.  They just go with the flow of life.  I must consider the fact that the Bible shows us God’s plan.  He made us to have connection with Him.  He doesn’t force us to do that.  It is up to me to make the choices in life.  My observations show that most people make the short-term choice.  What is fun now?  What give me instant gratification?  What am I comfortable with?  I must make the choices that bring the greatest benefit for the long run.  That choice is to make Jesus my Lord and Savior and live for Him.  A million years from now I will rejoice in that decision.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Sadly, people don’t generally think about a million years from now.  But, we must. So, I need to help people think of that.