Sunday, August 25, 2013

Bible Chapter: Revelation 18

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Prosperity is possible when people work hard at it.  The future system under the antichrist will experience prosperity and many will rejoice in it. They won’t be concerned with following God’s ways, they will live in luxury and laugh at a call to godliness.  We see some of that attitude today.  Some live in opulence that far exceeds anything that is even close to necessary.  Having money is not a sin, the issue is what one does with it.
    A time will come in the future when God calls believers to come out of the worldly system, lest they be judged with the rest.  As I read this I realize that the same call needs to go out today as well.  There are too many who claim the name “Christian” who are not living it.  They are compromising truth and righteousness and letting sin take over their lives.  Verse 4 is very powerful, pay heed:
4 And I heard another voice from heaven saying, Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues.  Revelation 18:4 NKJV
    All of the luxury, sin and pride that the world system will be living in will be destroyed.  One day it will all be over.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    The concept of coming out of the world and the influence of the world system is jumping out to me.  I must not be trapped by it.  The church world is trying to be like the rest of society.  Jesus didn’t die on the cross so I can be like everyone else.  He did to take me out of it, to make me new and different.  These prophetic writings show us the future.  They also speak to us in the present.  There is a human tendency to want to drift away from the things of God.  I must reverse that.  I must prevent drifting in my life.

3.  How can I help someone?
    What is really important?  I need to help people see that and apply it in their lives.  Getting away from evil influence and close to Jesus is really important.  I need to focus on that to help people see Jesus.