Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bible Chapter: Romans 7

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    God’s ways, God’s laws help us understand right and wrong.  God’s standards are THE standards for us to live by, period.  We understand right and wrong as we hear God’s laws.  Some believers are afraid to talk about God’s laws, lest they offend someone.  The only way people are going to turn to Jesus in repentance is to hear the truth about Him, about what the Bible says.  I must not be afraid of God’s laws or try to gloss over them.
    In our own strength we cannot do what is right.  Without salvation through Jesus we will always be controlled by evil.  The things I know I should do I can’t do.  Why?  Because in my own strength I can’t live right according to God’s ways.  We may all have good intentions, but, only through salvation and the grace of God can we change and actually live pleasing God.  For all who think they are really in control of their lives, they must realize they are being fooled by the evil one.  The power of God in the life dedicated to Jesus gives a way to overcome the path of evil.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    Romans 7:22 (New Living Translation) says “I love God’s law with all my heart.”  This helps answer the question of how to apply the truths of this chapter.  How can I live in a way that pleases God?  I must delight in God’s law.  As I am truly born again I can apply the law of God in my life with God’s help.  Until a person is really saved, they fit in the category of a wretched person. That doesn’t sound like something a person would admit.  But, after being saved and realizing the truth of life without Jesus, Paul was able to express it.  I must remember that loving God’s ways is the best and only way to live.

3.  How can I help someone?
    There is deception that is commonly accepted -
“I’m OK, I’m a good person.”
“I go to church sometimes and I’m not really that bad.”
“There are many people who are much worse than I am.”
    This lie causes people to not commit to Jesus.  I must help people see Jesus and be delivered from the deception.