Monday, February 4, 2013

Bible Chapter: Acts 22

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    This chapter continues Paul’s saga of those who came against him after he arrived in Jerusalem.  The crowd had been aroused in a frenzy against Paul.  As he was being taken away by the civil authorities he stopped to speak to the crowd.  Everyone quieted down so he could speak.
    Paul told his story of being born a Jew and studying under Gamaliel.  He encountered Jesus along the road as he traveled to arrest Christians.  Ananias came to pray for him to receive the sight he lost on the road.  Paul was baptized and began his service to Jesus.  The crowd listened till he said he was called to preach to the Gentiles.  This immediately caused the crowd to get wild again, calling for his death.
    The military commander had Paul taken into custody and ordered that he would be flogged and questioned.  Paul asked the soldier about to whip him if it was legal to flog a Roman citizen who has not been found guilty.  This made the man stop and tell the commander.  He then ordered the Sanhedrin (the Jewish council) to come and identify the charges against Paul.  The story continues in the next chapter.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    When things happened against Paul, as we see in this chapter, he didn’t go into survival mode.  He didn’t try to appease the accusers or find a way to make things easy on himself.  He use these events as opportunities to tell about Jesus and what He had done in his life.  He was always ready to give the reason for the hope that was in him.  That is a good example to follow.  Each believer must be able to tell, “This is my story . . .”.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I am reminded of the words of an old song written by A. Katherine Hankey, 1866
I love to tell the story of unseen things above, Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story, because I know ’tis true; It satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.

I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems Than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
I love to tell the story, it did so much for me; And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.

I love to tell the story; ’tis pleasant to repeat What seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard The message of salvation from God’s own holy Word.

I love to tell the story, for those who know it best Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song, ’Twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.

I love to tell the story, ’twill be my theme in glory,
To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.