Thursday, February 28, 2013

Bible Chapter: Romans 12

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

    Sacrifice. This is not currently a word that is very popular.  Another unpopular thought is not conforming to the world.  We are called to be transformed in the power of God and quit being like the world system.  The church today appears to be doing all it can to be just like the rest of the world.  The pendulum has swung from one extreme to the other.  I ask myself the question, “what is the difference between Christians and those who have not make a personal commitment to Jesus?” and I don’t see much of a separation.  Jesus paid a major price for our salvation.  What price is being paid today?  We are told here to hate evil and cling to the good.  A truly transformed mind will hate evil and strive to get far away from it.
    God has given a variety of gifts and talents to people.  Are we using them to the best of our abilities?  Since we are different, we must use our different talents for God, to impact eternal results.  Developing and using divinely-given talents as God intended will have a positive impact on the world.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    Here are some interesting thoughts from this chapter that would make a major impact if applied to daily life, especially to the life of a local church.  I could write several thoughts on each one.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.
Honor one another above yourselves.
Be joyful, patient, faithful.
Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you.
Live in harmony with one another.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
    I ask myself the question: what if I could apply all of these principles (just a few taken from the chapter)?  I believe they are possible to strive towards, especially considering the teaching at the beginning of the chapter about the transformation of our minds through God’s power. Let God deal with the issue of revenge, it will bring much peace.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I believe that as I can accomplish the challenges and commands of this chapter, people will naturally be helped.  If I am what I am supposed to be, based even on this one chapter, the world will be better off and people around me will be drawn to the Lord.  As I think on this I find it an interesting and challenging concept.