Friday, February 21, 2014

Bible Chapter: Deuteronomy 27 & 28

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
     When Israel entered the promised land, they were to set up stones as a place of worship and sacrifice.  They were to post the law God had given them.  It was to be a constant reminder of what God had done and what He expected from them.  The Levites were to recite several of God’s commands to the people and they all were to say “Amen”.  These commands would remind the people of God’s curses on sin and immorality.
    They were reminded of the great blessings for obedience.  This thought jumps out to me because so often the perspective of people regarding what God expects is all negative.  The view is that God is always against everything fun and not for anything that people would want to do.  Yet here we find a great list of blessings that come from obedience.  For example, 28:8 says that God will send a blessing on their barns and everything they put their hand to.  That is something that should get the attention of all people.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    With sixty eight verses, chapter twenty eight is long and unique.  The majority of the chapter deals with the curses that they will live with if they disobey.  Israel was reminded of the importance of obedience and application of God’s laws.  And I see this speaks to all people since God’s truths are universal.  As I read the chapter I thought over and over of how our modern world is mocking everything God commands and how we are seeing problem after problem.  This talks about crop failure, horrible diseases, being conquered by enemies, and the list goes on.  Looking at the current world situation it is easy to see that God is still judging sin.  The culture I live in seems to be having a contest to see who can mock God’s ways more than the next person.
    The personal application I see is that I have a choice.  I can decide to obey and bring God’s blessings on my life.  I can decide to do what I want, ignoring God.  That will bring God’s judgement.  I make the choice to serve and obey God.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to challenge people to make the same choice I just said for myself.  I challenge people to make the best choice, to serve and obey God.  No person will spend eternity in heaven in God’s presence regretting that they obeyed God.  No one will ever be disappointed at the gift of life God gives them for obedience and submission to HIM.