Thursday, July 4, 2013

James 3

Bible Chapter: James 3

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Do you want a position where everyone looks up to you?  Do you want to be the preacher standing up before the crowd and proclaim the message?  Here James warns against desiring that.  Why?  Because the one who teaches the Word is held to a higher standard.  God requires more.  The preacher or teacher is expected to live the life (not just preach about it) and will be judged more severely.  This is an interesting thought on God’s expectations.
    There is a strong warning about how dangerous our words are.  It is so easy to say something, and so quickly those words can hurt a person.  We must be careful and think about what we say.  If you believe that it doesn’t matter what you say, James gives a great illustration.  He said that we can’t both curse and bless God from the same “fountain”.  If you knew that there was poison water in a well, even if most of it was good water, you wouldn’t drink from it. Good and bad don’t come from the same source.  That is true of the tongue.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    This chapter warns against harboring bitter envy and selfish ambition.  These come, not from God, but from the devil.  They are evil.   Envy and selfish ambition bring disorder and evil practices.  God’s wisdom is pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  It is better to do things God’s way.  I know people would rather have these godly characteristics than the evil ones.
    These verses about how dangerous the tongue can be are important to keep in mind.  I don’t know why, but insults come easier than compliments.  I need to keep this in mind.  Word can be very hurtful.  They can also be helpful, so I must keep my mind in gear before I put my mouth in motion.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I can be encouraging to people.  Discouragement and failure fill so many minds.  Uplifting can make all the difference in the world.