Monday, July 8, 2013

Bible Chapter: James 4

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Selfishness and the desire for preeminence.  That is the theme that starts this chapter.  Fights and arguments come from the desire to get recognition and power.  Even the prayers of some are wrong, asking only so they can get something for pleasure.  This reminds me that we are in a battle and one of the tricks of the enemy is to get us fighting over things that don’t matter so we get distracted from the real purpose of our service to God.  There is to be no slander against each other.
    The temptation to compromise.  Believers are told here to not compromise righteousness, for friendship with the world is called adulterous hatred towards God.  This does not mean we are not friends with those around us.  It means we are not to actively participate in what God calls sin.  We are not to participate in the world’s values and attitudes.  This is an expression of God’s proper jealousy for His people.  When we belong to Him, we must not be involved in sinful activities.  He doesn’t want us to get destroyed by the consequences of sin.
    So, we are to submit to God, resist the devil, come near to God and live the life God designed.  Submission shows we know WHO is in control.  We recognize that each day is in God’s hands.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    The section starting in verse 4 is part of the Fire Bible’s Themefinder - Overcoming the World and Worldliness.  I must overcome this temptation to be like everyone else.  I believe that I have been successful in this, but I must not then become casual about the deceit of the spirit of the world.  It is too easy to slack off. So, I must continue to be an overcomer.  Believers are called to be separated from participation is anything that could pull us down into the pit of failing the Lord.  Victory comes from a continual submission to God.  Be humble before the Lord and let Him lift you up.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I can be sure to not get caught up in the disagreements that can so easily infect the church.  I don’t want to hurt anyone over a worthless argument.  I also need to help believers grasp the principles of overcoming the world.