Thursday, July 4, 2013

Bible Chapter: James 2

Bible Chapter: James 2

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    How do you treat people?  That is the question that jumps out here.  Do you look at people who have money or position and try to make them close friends?  Do you look at people who don’t have much and ignore them?  Do you show favoritism based on what you think you can get from the person?  James challenges the church to not do that but to treat all people equally.  Don’t look at the rich person who shows up and give them special treatment.  God will use anyone, rich or poor.  So, love and treat all people equally.  God is not pleased when poor people are looked down upon.
    Another key thought in this chapter is putting our faith to work through our actions.  It is not just that we believe in God, but that we also put some effort into working out our faith.  We can’t just tell someone to have faith, but we must put some energy into helping meet needs.  Faith and works must go together.  I can get saved by a step of faith in Jesus. Then I must express that faith by what I do.  I cannot get saved simply by doing good things.  There must be a combination of the two.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    It is so easy to look at people and quickly size them up.  This person has money and/or position. I can probably get benefit from being known as their friend.  I think I should try to get to know them.  Well, that is the totally wrong attitude.  That is just as bad as saying that I don’t want to get to know someone because they are from the wrong social or financial bracket.  Jesus loves everyone and won’t put up with His followers rejecting any class of people.
    Jesus reached out to anyone and everyone.  He wants me to follow that same pattern.  He wants me to put some elbow-grease (yes, that is an old expression) into my faith.  Faith and actions work together.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I can treat all people with dignity and give them hope in Jesus.  Some people believe they are worthless.  That is simply not true.  No one is junk.  Many have done junky things in life.  Jesus came to change them and give them hope and life.