Sunday, December 15, 2013

Bible Chapter: Exodus 35 & 36

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    The time came for Israel to make the tent of meeting, the Tabernacle where they would worship God.  Their weekly time of worship was so important that God said whoever worked on the Sabbath would be put to death.  They needed to learn the priorities of worship.  Many modern people who claim to be followers of God need to think on this truth.
    As they started on the Tabernacle they began to receive offerings of building materials.  The people gave and gave.  They gave with a willing heart.  They gave joyfully.  In fact they gave so much that the leaders finally told them to quit giving, they had more than they needed.  This is a beautiful picture of the joy of giving and the blessings of a generous heart.  The human concept is get all you can and can all you get.  How much can I accumulate?  I want it all for me.  But, God shows us the blessings of giving.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    This chapter shows again the truth that God is the creator of everything and that He gives skills and abilities to people to understand what is needed to make things.  He gave skills to people to work with wood, metals and cloths.  He helped them understand how and why things work so they could create the Tabernacle out in the middle of the wilderness.  Nothing is too difficult for God.  He made all the laws of science and nature.  Things work because that is the way God made them to work.  So, whatever God has for me to do He is well-able to enable and equip me to do it.  He will help me understand what I need to understand.  He will help me to learn what I need to learn so I can do what He has called me to do.  I have always been amazed at the things I see people do.  I see so many people with skills make things.  I see people create and invent new things.  I am amazed that things work and we are constantly having new and more advanced technology.  These are all possible because God enables people to understand His creative truths.  If God can show people thousands of years ago how to make the Tabernacle, He can show me what I need today to do His plan for my life.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Nothing is too hard for God.  He won’t always do what we want Him to do, but He is not perplexed by the challenges we face.  We must learn to trust God and let Him work on the details. We must do what He calls us to do and rely on Him.  We will be amazed at what will be accomplished.