Monday, November 18, 2013

Bible Chapter: Exodus 6

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Verse 9 jumped out to me as I read this chapter.  The people wouldn’t listen to Moses because of their discouragement and cruel bondage.  Because things had been going to poorly, they didn’t want to hear the message of deliverance and hope that had come from God.  The didn’t listen to Moses, the one who would deliver them.  We all have lots of trials and problems.  It is easy to let them cause me to become discouraged and then not even want to try.  I don’t like the problems that come, I don’t like the oppression I face, and these can cause discouragement.  I need to be willing to listen to God, to listen to anyone He sends along with the words I need to hear.  Discouragement can be over whelming.  It can cause me to look for some kind of an escape.  But, I must continually learn to listen to and trust God.
    I need to live another lesson in this chapter.  It is the promise of God to bring us out from the yoke of bondage and redeem us with His outstretched arm.  While it seems interminable while I am going through something difficult, there is always the promise that at some time God will bring deliverance.  We also have the promise of eternal deliverance.  Continually trust God, this is a good lesson.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    God has revealed Himself through the Bible.  I can study it and learn more and more about Him.  I can enter in to a growing relationship with Him.  I am reminded of an old song written by Edna R. Worrell over one hundred years ago.
It is just like Jesus to roll the clouds away,
It’s just like Jesus to keep me day by day,
It’s just like Jesus all along the way,
It’s just like His great love.
    People who know Jesus can echo these words.  The hope, help and promises of God are here to carry us through.  This is a gift of God we can apply in life when the hard times show up.

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people hear what God is really saying.  Confusion reigns about what the message is that God wants us to know.  Like the people who wouldn’t listen to Moses, people today don’t listen to God.  Life is so much better when we hear from God and apply what He says.