Monday, November 25, 2013

Bible Chapter: Exodus 12

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    God knows what He is doing.  And, when He promises something, He will come through.  His timing is what He has determined.  Reading the story of Joseph in Genesis and how the family ended up in Egypt is the first part of this story.  Now, 430 years later, a family of about 70 people is over a million and God is delivering them to a land that was promised.  Yes, we see here that life really is a journey.  The thought that I can and must trust God jumps out to me.  I can have confidence in HIM.  Here we see the story of the Passover.  It is a beautiful picture looking forward to the Messiah, the gift of life that we can receive through Jesus.
    The strong emphasis of ridding their homes of yeast during the Passover is a clear picture of God’s attitude towards sin.  Get rid of it.  Get far from it.  All worldly corruption must be removed.  God’s people are set apart for Him and sin destroys it.
    The Egyptians finally had endured enough and literally drove the Israelites out of the land.  They gave them all the gold and silver they asked for.  God’s plan worked just as He designed.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    I want things to happen now.  I want all things to work out the way I want them to be.  Probably, most people are like that.  God wants us all to learn to trust Him and let Him do what is right.  If Jacob had known that his descendants would be in Egypt for 430 years, he might not have been willing to go.  The promises made to Abraham took several centuries to come into being.  It has been 2,000 years since Jesus was here on the earth.  God wants us all to learn to trust Him and allow Him to work things out.  Lessons in faith jump out to me as I read this story.

3.  How can I help someone?
    God won’t fail you.  We don’t always understand what and why.  We can learn to trust.  Most people will say, “Yes, I can trust God”.  The challenge is to actually do it. I want to help people trust Him.