Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bible Chapter: Genesis 9

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    The great adventure was finally over for Noah and his family.  They were out of the ark and returning to life on the earth, not floating in the ark.  We are reminded of a key truth here: people are made in the image of God.  This means that life is valuable.  Through God we have life.  Satan works hard to bring death.  People must remember how important life is and do all that is possible to preserve and respect it.
    God gave a promise to the human race that He would never destroy all life with a flood again.  He gave a magnificent sign, the rainbow.  From time to time I see a rainbow and it is always beautiful.  It is a reminder of God’s love and care.  It is a reminder of God’s concern for people and righteousness.  It is a reminder of the importance of obedience to the Lord.
    After the flood, Noah had another three hundred fifty years on the earth.  He lived a total of nine hundred fifty years.  Yes, they lived that long in the beginning of the earth.  I can’t even begin to fathom living that long.  But, in light of eternity, that is nothing.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    The last part of this chapter shows the weakness of the human race.  Noah planted a vineyard and made wine.  Then he got drunk.  Problems resulted.  It is a normal thing for problems to develop when people get drunk.  I live in one of the biggest drinking states in our nation.  Bars are everywhere.  The problems that result from drunkenness are common.  I have come to the conclusion that the best way to not have the problems of drunkenness is to not drink any alcohol.  That’s my application of the issue and it works well.  I save tons of money, for alcoholic drinks are expensive.  I don’t have to worry about doing things to my family when I don’t know what I am doing under the influence.  I don’t have to worry about getting arrested for drunk driving.  I have been a positive example to my children.  It works well and sober is good.  Proverbs 20:1 says “Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.” (NKJV)

3.  How can I help someone?
    I want to help people see their great value in God’s eyes.  Too many people have a poor image of themselves and think they are junk.  Yes, people do lots of junky things. They do sinful and destructive things, but this is why Jesus came to the world to restore that awesome relationship with God that He designed from the beginning.