Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Bible Chapter: Genesis 8

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    Noah and his family obeyed God by building the ark and gathering all the animals.  Then the flood came.  An amazing thought comes from the beginning of this chapter, they were on the ark and didn’t hear from God for 150 days.  That had to be a challenge for them.  Where was God in all this?  Then they heard from God.  The waters were beginning to go down and finally the ark rested on Mount Ararat.  It was still a long time waiting for all to return to a place where they could leave the ark.  They were in it about a year.
    The story of Noah is a story of both obedience and the sinful condition of the human race.  It was because of their sin that judgement came.  Because of faithfully serving the Lord, Noah and his family were saved.  Even when we can’t see all the details, it always is best to obey God and follow His path.  Even if “everyone” is doing something, if it is wrong, I must not do it.

2.  What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    Noah didn’t hear from God for a long time after the floods came.  I don’t know what he was thinking.  It appears to be a long time of silence.  But, God honored his faithfulness.  I find the principle in the Bible of being faithful to God throughout whatever is happening.  I often wish for things to be different and to have different results.  I must stick with doing what I know is best.  I must be obedient and leave the results to the Lord.  I also need to remember a statement at the end of this chapter that the imagination of a person’s heart is evil from his youth.  This truth has come up a few times in the story of Noah.  Away from God, people are evil and will do evil things.  That is why bringing people to Jesus is the only solution to the problems of the world.  They need a heart change.

3.  How can I help someone?
    People need to see their spiritual condition.  It is common for people to think they are good, and good enough.  The feeling is that, “since I’m not a murderer, I’m OK”.  Most people are basically good and will not do really horrible things.  They won’t go out and blow up buildings and kill many people.  But, they don’t grasp the basic evil that is in their hearts.  I want to help people grasp that.