Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Bible Chapter: Mark 9

Because the Bible is practical, here are some statements to get you thinking.

1.  Write one or two key thoughts that come from today’s reading.
    This chapter has a verse that I think we all can identify with.  A man brought his son for deliverance.  He asked Jesus, “If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”  Jesus responded “If I can?”.  The father responded “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief”.  This is where we come in.  We believe, but unbelief always wants to creep in and hinder.  This is an amazing prayer.  Lord, help my weakness in believing that you can do all.  Lord, help me grow and mature in trusting you.  The more we grow in faith the more we will see supernatural interventions in life.  It is only through God’s involvement that anything ever happens.
    I think we can also identify with an argument the disciples had.  They were arguing about who among them was the greatest.  Jesus helped them understand greatness from God’s perspective.  Jesus said that greatness was being a servant.  Our modern culture worships fame and fortune.  We have people whose claim to fame is being famous.  They are not famous because they did something great, they are famous because they inherited money and know how to live in the limelight.  They are considered great.  Others are considered great because they can hit or throw or catch a ball.  The church will advance best when it is filled with servants.
    One more thought jumps out to me here.  The section starting in verse 42 is marked in the themefinders in my Bible as Walking In Obedience And Righteousness.  It talks about causing a child to sin.  Jesus said that anything would be better than causing a child to sin.  Children are the recipients of the love of God and the target of Satan’s destruction.  The attacks against children are increasing.  We must walk in obedience and righteousness helping children to know that Jesus loves them and protecting them from the pain of the evil one.

2. What can I apply in my life from the reading?
    I can continue to work on increasing faith.  I must remember Jesus’ response to the father who said “If you can” when He incredulously said “If I can?”.  There is no doubt in the mind of God that He can do anything.  That needs to be my mind set as well.
    I also need to keep God’s focus about children.  They are precious.  I am reminded of an old hymn from the 1800's written by William O. Cushing.  I haven’t thought of it in a long time.  It is called Jewels.  It was often sung at baby dedications.  The third verse says:
Little children, little children, Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels, His loved and His own.
    Throughout His earthly life Jesus showed great care and compassion for children.  They are precious and deserve protection.  The greatest thing people can do for children is point them to their loving Savior.

3.  How can I help someone?
    Jesus said that being a servant is greatness.  The world is lacking servants.  People need servants.  “If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.” -- from verse 35.